Wondering about the details? Find out more below. If you don't see your question, feel free to email us!
How will a charity be chosen?
- Members are required to submit a charity nomination form at least one day prior to the event. (The form must be completed in its entirety or it will not be considered. Only members with a signed membership form and who are in current good standing on their donations are eligible to submit a charity for consideration.)
- Three charities will be drawn at the beginning of the event for presentation.
- The sponsoring member who submitted the charity should be ready to make a five-minute presentation.
- There will be a question and answer period following the presentations.
How will members vote?
Following the presentations, each eligible member will vote by ballot. The charity which receives the most votes will win the quarterly donation.
- In case of a two-way tie, the members will vote again. If the second vote results in another tie, a charity will be randomly drawn by putting both names into a hat.
- In case of a three-way tie, a charity will be randomly drawn by putting all three names in a hat.
Can I bring a friend to the event?
Yes! Anyone is welcome to attend and observe before deciding if they would like to become a member. If you hand in a Membership Form before the balloting takes place, you will be allowed to vote at your first event.
What if I have a legitimate ethical, religious, or moral objection to the selected charity and/or their mission?
Please speak to a forming member and these instances will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
What if I don’t want to donate to the charity chosen because my charity wasn’t selected?
Our goal is to use the power of numbers to make a large donation to four local charities annually. If you feel strongly against our process, we applaud you for donating to a charity of your choice on your own. We do recognize this group and its process may not be everyone’s cup of tea.
What if I can’t attend the event, do I still get a vote?
No. Due to the nature of the voting process, you are obligated to contribute your donation but you must be present to vote.
Is my contribution tax deductible?
Yes, your cancelled check should serve as a receipt for your donation. Checks are written directly to the charity. All nominated charities are 501c3’s which means your donation is tax deductible. The charity may also send you a separate receipt.
Can I send my check directly to the charity?
Our goal is to make a large donation on behalf of the whole organization. We’d like each member’s contribution to be part of this donation.
Can I nominate a charity and have someone from the charity present on my behalf?
Only members are allowed to make presentations. Charity representatives can become members if they wish to nominate and present on behalf of their charity.
Can one member nominate more than one charity per event?
No. One nomination per $100 donation will be considered quarterly.
If my charity was not selected at the event do I need to resubmit it for consideration for the next quarterly event?
Yes. A quick tip, save your initial form so you don’t have to repeat any unnecessary work!
How often can a charity be awarded the funds?
A charity may only be eligible for receiving the total donation every three-years.